#1 Ranked Team in the State

The Softball team poses as a team after winning a game. Their smiles were big, knowing that they are still ranked #1.

Emma Higby, Pulse Writer

The Monarch softball team is currently ranked #1 in the state. The girls have worked very hard to achieve this title. They practice every day after school, and have a two-mile run on those days.

“I play outfield on the team,” junior Ciara Peters said. “I’ve been on varsity for three years, and I’ve played the same position.”

Keeping the rank is a hard thing to do. They have played numerous hard teams, but they have always come up on top.

“We do a lot of cheers after winning,” Peters said. “We hype each other up, and just consistently cheer the whole game.”

Since Peters is still only a junior, she has another year to play and to keep the streak alive. However, for the seniors on the team, this is their last hurrah before getting sent off to college.

“I pitched for the first three years, but this year I started playing third base,” senior Courtney Wallace said. “It’s pretty exciting to be on the #1 ranked team, we all get along with each other so it makes our performance on the field better.”

This will be Wallace’s last year playing on varsity, and she has some mixed emotions about it.

“I would have to say this is bitter-sweet,” Wallace said. “I’m excited to go to college and move on with my life, but at the same time I’m going to miss all the coaches and all my teammates.”

Softball is a very rough sport, so the girls that play on the team condition tirelessly and dedicate their free time for the sport. Maintaining the #1 rank in the state will be hard to do, but our girls are definitely ready to put in the work.