Singing a Different Tune

Sophomore Charlie Shuster sits down to enjoy his music

Kennedy Sautter, Editor-In-Chief of PLPulse

Music, one of the most beautiful and complicated art forms. From the classical eras, the rise of rock and roll, to the modern rapper; music is everywhere.

Mainstream music nowadays is mostly Rap, Hip-Hop, and Rock, but what is happening behind powerhouse industries? There are tons of genres of music, so what are some of the more popular types?

Alternative music, as some put it, contains music that has different styles or even odd lyrics that turn the mainstream away from the genre. This can contain music types such as: RnB, EDM, and Country.

“I mainly listen to RnB, various pop songs, and a little bit of country,” Sophomore Charlie Schuster said. “These genres are what I grew up on, so they have more meaning to me.”

Society will sometimes scoff at certain genres, such as Metal, which most people often view as violent. And in the same vein, some turn their noses up at Country, which some view as similar in all songs.

On the contrary, the Country genre is very unique and has deeper meaning to some students. Others say the music itself is soothing.

“What draws me is how interesting the lyrics can be when you think about them,” Schuster said. “The music has background and that gives it more meaning to listen to, and I feel like that has been lost in the music industry today.”

Whatever type of music society chooses as its new favorite, there will always be different music for others to dip their toes into.