Interesting Majors

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

OPINION BY Faith Workman, Opinion Editor

Most high school students go into college with a plan on what they want to major in. There are many majors that allow you to explore a million different careers and we usually focus on the basics. Psychology, doctor, cosmetologist, teacher, etc. What some of us might not realize is that these are just the start of what you can major in at college.

Bowling management, bakery science, puppetry, Beatles history, comedy, and bagpiping. These are a handful of majors that you can receive in college. It may seem crazy and hard to grasp onto the fact that these are actual majors in colleges around the country, but hear me out before dismissing the insanity.

Bagpiping is a major that can be found at Carnegie Mellon, Bowling management can be found at Vincennes University, and puppetry? Yes, like hosting puppet shows, is a major you can find at the University of Connecticut. These are all majors that I have found through research and I would be lying if I said I wasn’t interested to learn more.

A downside to all of these crazy majors is that I have absolutely no idea how one gets a career in playing the bagpipes, but if bagpiping is a passion of yours, then so be it. No one is stopping you! Except, maybe your parents who could argue that majoring in puppetry isn’t a very stable career option.

The moral of the story is not to go off of your college plan to major in bagpiping because it just sounds fun, but more to explore your options to find the best fit for you and your education. So before having a plan set in stone before you even leave your junior year, do some research first and find out what is out there.

1 Comment

One Response to “Interesting Majors”

1. Jacob Schildhauer on April 28th, 2017 2:46 pm

A word of advice, piping is not a career as you cannot make an income off of it save for teaching. It’s simply an expensive hobby that has its personal merits.

[Reply]

• News Briefs

Water Polo

• Interesting Majors

News Briefs

The Cost to Save a Life

• Interesting Majors

News Briefs

Let them Eat Candy!

• Interesting Majors

Sports Podcasts

PL Sports Podcast Episode 7

• J1 Stories

Under Pressure

Interesting Majors